On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM, Mark Stephen Mrotek <carsonm...@ca.rr.com> wrote:
David,

Thank you for your reply and the commands.
Where in the documentation can I find more on the method (the why and how it
works) you presented?

Thank you for your kind attention.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: David Kastrup [mailto:d...@gnu.org] Sent: Monday, August 04, 2014 11:38 PM
To: Mark Stephen Mrotek
Cc: lilypond-user@gnu.org
Subject: Re: piano pedal

"Mark Stephen Mrotek" <carsonm...@ca.rr.com> writes:

 Hello,

 Using the documentation

 http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/piano

 I have "attached" the sustain commands to the "left" staff.

When the lower voice moves to the "right" staff the sustain markings change style and location.

 What must be done?

See

David and Mark,

The warning doesn't have to be there since there's an unnecessary "\sustainOff" after the e in measure 2 (or a missing "\sustainOn" after the "c \sustainOff" in measure 1):

\version "2.18.0"

global = {
 \key c \major
 \time 4/4
}

right = \relative c'' {
 \global
c'1 | c | }

left = \relative c' {
 \global
\set PianoStaff.pedalSustainStyle = #'bracket
 c,4\sustainOn e\sustainOff \sustainOn
 g\sustainOff \sustainOn c\sustainOff \sustainOn |
 \change Staff = "right"
 e\sustainOff \sustainOn g\sustainOff \sustainOn
 c\sustainOff \sustainOn g\sustainOff \sustainOn |
}

\score {
 \new PianoStaff <<
   \new Staff = "right" \right
   \new Staff = "left" { \clef bass \left }

 \layout {
   \context { \Staff
       \remove "Piano_pedal_engraver"
       \remove "Piano_pedal_align_engraver"