On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 4:41 PM, Jay Vara <j...@diljun.com> wrote:

>> I wonder two things:
>>
>> (1) Is there a way to combine the notes and rests in the 1/4 division of
>> the bars?
>>

> Not sure what you mean.

In the example below, it looks strange that there are two tied eighth-note
Gs instead of a single quarter-note.  The engraver ought to combine them,
especially since I asked for 1/4.  (It does this when the division is 2/8
as well.)

>> (2) Why the inconsistency in the rests in the 3/8 divisions?
>> Quarter-eighth is correct.  Why is this reversed the second time?
>>
>> I think what it has done is correct. It is reversed the second time
> because in that case the first rest is split into eights by the
> Completion_rest_engraver. Whatever rest occurs on the barline is split and
> no attempt is made to correct the input. Is this not what you expect?

I'm expecting the result to be notated correctly, and this snippet isn't.
The 3/8 division of the bar should be notated with a dotted-quarter rest
(or in older practice a quarter rest followed by an eighth).  An eighth
followed by a quarter rest is incorrect.

For me this sort of thing would be a deal-breaker with using the completion
engraver with compound meters.  These are errors I'd like to be able to
correct, and you can't do it here.  At least not that I know of.

--David