Jacques,

I assume you are referring to vertical spacing between the staff above
and the marks you noted? An easy way to add more space is to do
something like this in the same \markup block:

\tempo \markup{
  \column{
    " " \vspace #1
    \box\smaller{"3. America"}
    {"Moderately bright"}

and adjust the "#1" number as desired. Not automagic, but it does what
you need.

HTH,
Abraham