> On 12/22/2014 04:36 PM, Federico Bruni wrote:
> > I can understand your frustration.
> > I think that LilyPond team's choices are sometimes a bit
> > "conservative".
> >
> > Q&A websites are just way better than a traditional mailing list.
> > Period.
>
> My 2¢: Nothing is stopping anyone from asking and answering questions on
> StackOverflow.  However, effective answers come from critical mass of
> the knowledgeable user community, and right now that critical mass is
> here.  If enough people start using StackOverflow, then the critical
> mass will be there... and likely this list will wither.

Actually I did not intend to promote StackOverflow in particular, just that
kind of software.
I agree with you: anyone should feel free to help wherever he feels like.
But I remember that in old discussions on this topic the general idea,
shared by most of people in this list, was: "we should not split the
community and the help resources in two different places".

> Personally, I *like* the mailing list, because I scan the discussion
> going by, even when it’s not currently relevant to me, and often
> something rings a bell later when I need it.  If everyone who thinks SO
> is better uses it... then eventually, it’ll become the place to go.
> Democracy in action, or something.

You can subscribe to the lilypond tag and get notifications when someone
posts a question tagged with lilypond:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/lilypond

I'll explore more SO in the coming weeks.