Dear Br. Samuel,

thanks for your thoughts in reply to my mail!

Am 27.12.2014 um 23:48 schrieb Br. Samuel Springuel:
> The biggest issue for this would be the fact that gabc and lilypond
> notation approach representing music from two different view points.

I know that, but it does not seem such a big issue to me: The gabc input
should contain a clef (c2 or f3 etc.) and this would fix the relation
between the two representations, wouldn’t it. (This implies that there
is no general conversion of a-m (gabc) to a-g (LP) but a clef-dependent
one).
This way I would end up with a definition which note (a-m) is a do and
so on. However, it would not mean that the la is 400 Hz. But this latter
issue can not be solved in a general way. Or do I still have a
misconception here?

I would even see that difference as a gain, because the key independent
input of gabc seems convenient to me (for chant notation) and the LP
representation could be still used in a normal staff and could be
transposed. So it would combine the best of two approaches.

In fact, I am a bit more concerned about the spacing. In gabc, one can
set the spacing within a neume and I don’t know how to do that in LP and
gregorio cares less about the timing than LP.

> I suspect that not everyone would be satisfied with any particular solution.

That might be true and perhaps my reasoning above is too naive. Please
correct me then.

Cheers,
Joram