> > From: Patrick Karl <patrickk...@me.com>
> > Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:18:49 -0600
> >
> > I think the most disturbiing thing is that \articulate is interpreting
> > "rit." to mean "ritenuto" rather than "ritardando", which I think is
> > the most common interpretation of "rit.".  It would be great if the
> > tempo would ramp down gradually to "4=36" at the end.

It's true that articulate.ly does not handle gradual tempo changes as
one would expect.

I get around this, and simultaneously give myself control over the
contour of the rit. or accel. by writing another "invisible" stave just
for the midi, and containing nothing but rests and tempo markings.  And
I use a modified version of articulate.ly with the lines

#(define ac:rallFactor (ly:make-moment 60/100)) % 40% slowdown
#(define ac:pocoRallFactor (ly:make-moment 90/100)) % 10% slowdown

changed to

#(define ac:rallFactor (ly:make-moment 100/100)) % no slowdown
#(define ac:pocoRallFactor (ly:make-moment 100/100)) % no slowdown

so that rit. markings have no effect.

Then I add additional tempo markings in the midi "stave" (there is no
actual stave) to produce what is in fact a stepped change of tempo.  You
can add as many tempo changes as you need to give the illusion of a
gradual tempo change, and if you want more rit. towards the end, or at
the beginning, you can control that too by altering the figures.

For instance:

\version "2.18.0"

\include "articulate.ly"

mid = {
    \tempo 4 = 120 r1 | r1 |
    \tempo 4 = 115 r4 \tempo 4 = 110 r4 \tempo 4 = 104 r4 \tempo 4 = 98
r4 |
    \tempo 4 = 90 r4 \tempo 4 = 82 r4 \tempo 4 = 36 r2 |
}

music = \new Staff \with { midiInstrument = "trumpet" }
    \relative c' { \tempo "Allegro" 4 = 120
        c8 d e f g a b c | d e f g a b c b |
        a g f e d c b a | g f e d c2\fermata |
    }

\score {
    \music
    \layout { }
}

\score {
    \articulate
    <<
        \mid
        \music

    \midi { }
}

Even the length of the pause at the end can be adjusted.

I have not put a "rit." marking in the music here, because using the
unmodified version of articulate.ly it would confuse things.  But with
the alterations I suggested, rits and ralls in the score will not affect
the midi output.

I also find it useful to change the values of staccatoFactor,
normalFactor and other variables in the articulate script to produce a
better result.  Dynamics. too, can be changed.

David