I have a document with many equations, but I only refer (~\ref) to some
of them. I want only those equations to which I refer to have numbers.

At first, I made all the equations into eqnarrays, and used the \nonumber
command on every equation that did not have a \label in it. (I did not
manage to use \nonumber in the equation environment).

I thought this might be good enough, since if I missed an equation, I
would have an undefined reference, or a numbered equation which i do not
refer to.

to my surprise, the following latex code:

\begin{eqnarray}1
\end{eqnarray}
\begin{eqnarray}2\label{nnm}\nonumber
\end{eqnarray}
\begin{eqnarray}3
\end{eqnarray}

equation~\ref{nnm}

produces three equations, the first and third are numbered by the numbers
(1), (2), and the reference at the bottom refers to equation 2, though i
meant it to refer to the second equation, which is not numbered at
all.

How can I have an error message when I refer to an unnumbered equation
instead?

I am using

[ladypine@granada ~/thesis]$ latex -v
TeX (Web2C 7.3.1) 3.14159
kpathsea version 3.3.1

in a latex 2.09 compatibility mode, and "go upgrade" is a perfectly fine
answer.
--
Orna.   |  http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

A cat has claws at the end of its paws.
A sentence has a pause at the end of its clause.