On Wed, 25 Dec 2002, Michael Sternberg wrote:

> I'm looking for a good URL that explains
> memory management in modern Linux kernel.
>
> I.e. what happens when I'm typing malloc,
> how many memory is assigned to a process,
> what is virtual memory, how swapping works,
> etc...

ok. this was the last push i needed ;)
a new tutorial, titled "Unix and C/C++ runtime memory management for
programmers" tutorial was just released on the LUPG site
(http://www.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/). the tutorial actually tries to
explain what happens when you're using malloc(), what is virtual memory,
etc. took me over a year to eventually complete it. comments and fixes are
welcome, as usual.

the tutorial's direct url is
http://www.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg/tutorials/unix-memory/unix-memory.html

hope this helps,