For those of you who do not tend to actually login to tx regularly :

I am quoting here one of the login messages. Note that the workshop is
open to academic staff, graduate students and researchers in the MACHBA
universities.

MPI is a message-passing way to create a parallel program. Its main
architecture is a cluster (originally of identical machines, but they are
making progress in that direction, as I gather).

openMP is a shared memory way to parallel a program. It is aimed at SMP
machines. Basically, it makes dealing with threads very easy.

FYI.

 * * * parallel programming workshops announced * * *    30 December
2002 The computer center announces two parallel computing workshops in the
Technion:
  Workshop                 Dates         Time         Lecturer
MPI programming         2-3 Feb 2003  09:00-15:00   Dr. Anne Weil-Zrahia
SGI/OpenMP programming  5-6 Feb 2003  09:00-16:00   Dr. Moshe Goldberg

For more details and for registration information:
MPI:      http://tcc.technion.ac.il/hpc/mpi_wkshp_jan2003.html
OpenMP:   http://tcc.technion.ac.il/hpc/sgi_wkshp_jan2003.html

--
Orna.   |  http://tx.technion.ac.il/~agmon

There are only 10 types of people in the world-
Those who understand binary, and those who do not.