Subject: [Haifux] USB caused RH 7.3 to hang
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 12:12:20 +0200
From: Eli Billauer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hello All.

Here is a strange thing: When I boot Redhat 7.3 (2.4.18) with my USB
webcam attached, the system hangs (freeze, no oops message) after the
two USB drivers are installed, and before HDI and mouse should be installed.

A few extra hints:
* Without the webcam, my USB mouse works great.
* I'm running on Pentium 4 with a D845PESV mother board (the USB is
built-in).
* I had no problem with insmoding the usbvideo and the modules it
depends on (no webcam attached, of course)
* Google's contribution: People are talking about a buggy USB driver,
and some IRQ sharing. Found nothing that really fitted.

So, fellows, can anyone tell me how to start solving such a thing?

     Eli

P.S. My lsmod at runlevel 1, prior to insmod'ing usbvideo (which was OK)
is as follows:

videodev                6624   0  (unused)
soundcore               6692   0  (autoclean)
ppp_deflate             4032   0  (autoclean)
zlib_deflate           21344   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate]
ppp_async               8256   0  (autoclean)
ppp_generic            24108   0  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate ppp_async]
slhc                    6508   0  (autoclean) [ppp_generic]
binfmt_misc             7556   1
parport_pc             18724   1  (autoclean)
lp                      8864   0  (autoclean)
parport                34208   1  (autoclean) [parport_pc lp]
autofs                 12164   0  (autoclean) (unused)
8139too                16448   0
mii                     2408   0  [8139too]
e100                   76116   0
ipchains               43560   0
ide-cd                 30272   0  (autoclean)
cdrom                  32192   0  (autoclean) [ide-cd]
nls_cp437               5120   1  (autoclean)
vfat                   12092   1  (autoclean)
fat                    37400   0  (autoclean) [vfat]
nls_iso8859-1           3488   3  (autoclean)
ntfs                   55616   2  (autoclean)
mousedev                5312   0
hid                    21344   0  (unused)
input                   5984   0  [mousedev hid]
ehci-hcd               19552   0  (unused)
usb-uhci               24484   0  (unused)
usbcore                73152   1  [hid ehci-hcd usb-uhci]
ext3                   67136   2
jbd                    49400   2  [ext3]

(and I managed to insmod usbvideo as well with no problem)