On 10 Aug 24, Loïc Minier wrote:

>  So what kind of operations do we want to be able to do?
>
>  * generate an u-boot kernel image from a zImage
>    - input: zImage, kernel load address
>    - output: uImage
>  * generate an u-boot initrd image from an initrd.gz
>    - input: initrd.gz, initrd load address
>    - output: uInitrd
>  * generate a mostly boilerplate u-boot boot script with specific
>    cmdline opts
>    - input: cmdline opts, script load address
>    - output: boot.cmd
>
>  I wonder whether we want to wrap other operations such as:
>  * writing the kernel/initrd/script to flash or to a specific partition
>    according to config
>  * creation of boot media (partition table, vfat etc.)
>  * other bootloaders
>
>  Comments welcome!  Other use cases, existing software, whatever!  :-)

Here are a few usecases that are important to me as a kernel developer:

* A way to install new kernel .debs from x86 dev machine
   - Currently the only way to do it is from a fully booted system

* Ability to have a 'backup' kernel/initramfs in case of broken kernels
   - A script running on x86 should allow me to revert to the backup kernel
   incase the new kernel does not boot

* Easy way to modify kernel cmdline
   - Script to dump existing kernel cmdline and to modify it easily

/Amit