On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 13:15:25 -0600, Tom Gall <tom.g...@linaro.org> wrote:
> 2) Linaro-media-create shouldn't install linux-firmware_1.47_all.deb ?
> Do we have any any hardware that needs it?  If so could there be a
> --nano option to not install it?

This is currently in the hwpacks as linux-image-* depend on it. However,
they are just metapackages, and the actual kernels do not depend on it.

If that dependency isn't going to be removed, but we don't want to
always install it then we can add some code to linaro-hwpack-create to
avoid it.

If though you want it to be optional we would then have to add some code
to linaro-media-create to install it again.

Another alternative would be the "tags" idea from when we first
discussed hwpacks. This would mean that you could say things like
"--with firmware" at install time, but there will be quite a bit of work
involved in this.

Plus, in all of this we still have that dependency, so if we aren't
installing the firmware package we can't install the kernel metapackage,
which is not ideal for upgrades, or do some trick like equivs, or even
have a package in the archive (linux-firmware-none) that Provides:
linux-firmware, which expresses the intent pretty well, but there would
still be thought required of how to select that at linaro-media-create
time (and without network access.)

> 3) linaro-media-create should have some kind of option (--nano) to
> clear out apt caches (saves ~40 meg of space)

If you want this it should be an easy change to make.

Thanks,

James