Every time I boot plymouth is always killed by SEGV

Every few reboots the system will hang without continuing to boot at this
message:

init: udev-fallback-graphics main process (993) terminated with status 1
init: plymouth main process (538) killed by SEGV signal
init: plymouth-splash main process (998) terminated with status 2
init: plymouth-log main process (1026) terminated with status 1

Sometimes the system will hang during reboot as well, I think it may be
related to `plymouth-stop`, but I don't have strong evidence of that
currently.

My kernel config has only very minimal changes from `omap2plus_defconfig`

   - enabling devtmpfs and automounting it
   - disabling omap2, omap4, etc, except omap3
   - disabling all boards except for overo

I don't think that plymouth is a particularly necessary service (especially
since I don't have a display), so my temporary solution is to disable it
like so:

cd /etc/init
ls plymouth*.conf | while read CONF
do