On Wed, Jun 01, 2011 at 12:51:12PM -0700, Deepak Saxena wrote:
> All official Linaro builds are generated from a single git tree that
> has branches for different kernel versions that we build from being
> automatically updated during the build process. The git rev is
> embedded in the kernel package name (linaro-linux-<githash>-...) and
> also in the kernel uname so that it
> is immediately obvious what tree and set of patches it come from and
> the KWG or LT can go fix the issue in their private trees that then
> get pulled into the main git tree. We can also tag the git tree during
> a build and embed that into the kernel uname.

So your suggestion is that we have a tree to which we commit the result
of the kernel source package build process? It's an interesting one; I'd
like to know if this (or an approximation of it) is feasible.

And thinking about it, John should already have this tree somewhere,
right?

> >    - What kernel tree it was built from
> >        (A URL to the git tree)
> >    - What revision
> >        (A revision ID)
> >    - What patches were applied on top of it
> >        (A URL to the patchset, maybe?)
>
> By patchset do you mean broken out patches as in a quilt stack or
> a changelog of the patches? If someone has the git url and git revision,
> they inherently know what patches are in the kernel.

I was referring to the fact that for a source package (such as what we
build the hwpacks out of) we have a base plus a set of patches which may
not live in any tree. But answering the question above will probably
answer this one too.

> >    - What kernel config was used to build it
> >        (A separate file in the hwpack directory?)
>
> Do we have a repo where we store these? We probably want something similar
> to the kernel with an "official" repo used for build purposes that can
> be tagged at with the same tag as the kernel builds.

Alas, we don't, and I think we definitely need one.
--
Christian Robottom Reis   | [+55] 16 9112 6430 | http://launchpad.net/~kiko
Linaro Engineering VP     | [ +1] 612 216 4935 | http://async.com.br/~kiko