Hello list,

I am not sure if android-platform@ is the right place to discuss
licensing terms in Android or not.  Please ignore the post if it was
mistaken.

Recently, we at Linaro are trying to integrate gcc-linaro[1] into
Android build system as the optional toolchain optimized for latest
ARM cores.  We encounter some unknown prelinker issues, and it is an
opportunities for us to look into the implementations of relevant
utilities in Android.  However, I am a bit confused about the
licensing terms of some packages.

libelfcopy[2], derived from some parts in binutils, provides the
facilities about DWARF/ELF, and it is quite obvious that libelfcopy is
licensed under GNU GPL version 2+ as the file "MODULE_LICENSE_GPL"
denotes.  There are three system tools depending on libelfcopy:
  - isprelinked
  - soslim
  - apriori

build/tools$ grep -r libelfcopy *
apriori/Android.mk:LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES := libelfcopy libelf libebl #dl
isprelinked/Android.mk:LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES := libelfcopy libelf
libebl libebl_arm #dl
soslim/Android.mk:LOCAL_STATIC_LIBRARIES := libelfcopy libelf libebl
libebl_arm #dl

These tools are linking libelfcopy statically, which explicitly
complies with the licensing terms of GNU GPL.  But, after checking the
source files (*.[ch]), no license term is claimed.[3]  The proper
declaration should put file "MODULE_LICENSE_GPL" into individual
directories at least.

Is my understanding correct?

Sincerely,
Jim Huang