On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:59:01AM +0530, Sudhangathan B S wrote:
> I need to boot Linaro in very short time as my project has a
> constraint on energy. The normal linaro boot up time is 2 minutes and
> 15 seconds on my overo fire. I did a little startup tweaks and
> achieved 2:00 minutes. Is there a way to boot up Linaro in under 40
> sec. ?? This could include increasing CPU speeds or more OS tweaks....
>
> Has anybody worked on this(Linaro boot up times) so far..??

What kind of application scenario do you have? My experience is that
most "embedded" scenarios do not need most of what a normal "desktop"
needs.

With ptxdist, we manage to run a headless MX35 (ARM11 @ 532 MHz) into
Linux userspace in 436 milliseconds (measured from power-good to posix
userspace), but that requires an optimized bootloader and kernel and
running with an initrd. But for a lot of scenarios it is fine to stay
with a standard root fs and less aggressive optimizations, which still
gives us 6 seconds from power-good up to a fully running Qt application
(with a splash during that time).

Most of that should also be achievable with the standard Linaro/Ubuntu
scenario, but it has to be hand-optimized. However, it all depends on
what you need in your application. If you need a full blown desktop with
x.org and everything, you'll probably need a lot more time. However, 2
minutes still sounds very long to me.

However, all you need for optimization is in the boottime sections of
the elinux.org wiki.

rsc