On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 12:56:13 +0200
Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd.sim...@collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, 2016-07-25 at 10:53 +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 25 Jul 2016 09:29:28 +0200
> > Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd.sim...@collabora.co.uk> wrote:

> > > Hmm, That's true though. Fwiw What I tend to (ab)use submitting to
> > > specific target devices for is mostly for hacking sessions and the
> > > likes when needing to do some maintaince or other aspects that
> > > really
> > > need one specific target device rather then any regular jobs. It
> > > would
> > > be nice to cover that use-case somehow.
> >
> > Hacking sessions are for users though. As an admin, you already have
> > direct access to the device. This was one of the reasons why V1 had
> > all
> > the device configuration on the dispatcher, so that local scripts
> > could
> > parse out the connection_command and power_on_cmd to get a way to
> > get onto the device whilst it was Offline. (This is why we have
> > maintenance
> > mode on a per-device level.)
> >
> > With V2, that information is available directly from the UI, so all
> > the
> > admin needs is take the device offline, ssh onto the dispatcher and
> > have a web browser looking at the device detail page.
>
> But that's basically doing by hand things that lava can already do for
> you.
>
> Maybe i'm just too lazy, but I like telling lava to just go and boot a
> board for me with a rootfs of choice such that i can login and do
> whatever needs to be done without having to resort to setting things
> up by hand.

Why do you need a rootfs in the first place?

With LAVA V2, the only software needed on the board is the bootloader -
with the exception of devices supporting primary connections. There is
nothing that needs to be done in a rootfs for a V2 device.

> > No need to wait
> > for the hacking session to be scheduled (another job could always
> > get in first, even at high priority a health check takes precedence
> > or there could be another high priority job already in the queue).
>
> In my experience health checks don't happen often enough to be
> problematic for this.

That's configurable. In a lab running 1,000 jobs a day it is routine.

> For the other aspects, simply restricting
> submission to the device works well (Which depending on what gets done
> is a good choice anyway).

> Though a maintaince priority/type of job that runs even if the device
> is currently offline and trumps all other priorities would be really
> nice for these kind of things. Though I bet you disagree on this
> aspect :)

Only a forced health check must ever run on a device which is offline.
Health checks always take precedence over any priority settings.

Offline is a maintenance mode, especially for admins. That is the only
purpose of having an offline status. Offline means that the device is
currently unusable - it could be disconnected, bricked etc. It is up to
the admin to be confident that it is safe to run a health check. There
is also looping mode for repeating such tests.

We're updating the docs on health checks - stressing that a health
check needs to test every type of action supported by the device type
(except a hacking session as it still needs to be fully automated). The
health check still needs to be quick but it also needs to be thorough.

> > Just because hacking sessions log in a user as root, does *not* mean
> > that this is a workable solution for administration - that confuses
> > the
> > issues. TestJobs, like hacking sessions, need to be ephemeral in
> > terms
> > of storage - that way admins can trust that users can't actually
> > undo the admin setup just by using a hacking session themselves.
>
> Given that a hacking session gives you root per definitions means
> folks can do whatever they like on a board. Nothing is stopping
> someone in a hacking session to e.g. reflash the bootloader :)

Exactly - it is up to the admins to sanction such users as that causes
work for the admin. It depends on the device - with a device with
sufficient support, the bootloader can be safely replaced by the
testjob so it would not be a problem.

I don't see what operations are needed in V2 that can be done inside a
hacking session, except possibly updating the UBoot uEnv.txt but that's
possible to do from the bootloader shell as well.

--

Neil Williams