On Fri, 19 May 2017 16:48:11 +0100
Steve McIntyre <steve.mcint...@linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> On Wed, May 17, 2017 at 03:05:41PM +0100, Neil Williams wrote:
> >On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 08:19:19 +0100
> >Neil Williams <codeh...@debian.org> wrote:
> >

> I've just run a local test with an AEP inside lxc on my local
> machine. As far as I can see, there's nothing particularly magic going
> on here. The only problem I see is Lisa's config file pointing at the
> wrong device file. arm-probe needs a ttyACM-style device to talk
> to. Using:
>
> # lxc-device -n lxc-aep-test-174524 add /dev/ttyACM0
>
> I create that device in my container. I build libwebsockets and the
> arm-probe software in the container, then specify /dev/ttyACM0 in the
> AEP config file. I can run it just fine:
>
> root@lxc-aep-test-174524:/arm-probe# ./arm-probe/arm-probe -C
> panda-aep.cfg -l10 -x # configuration: panda-aep.cfg
> # config_name: pandaboard
> # trigger: 0.400000V (hyst 0.200000V) 0.000000W (hyst 0.200000W) 400us
> Configuration: pandaboard
> # date: Fri, 19 May 2017 16:29:50 +0100
> # host: lxc-aep-test-174524
> #
> + /dev/ttyACM0
> Starting...
> sending start to 0
> # VDD_ALL       VDD     ROOT    #ff0000 SoC
> #
> #
> time  VDD(V) VDD(A) VDD(W)
> 0.000500  5.11 0.0474 0.24196
> 0.000600  5.11 0.0364 0.18572
> 0.000700  5.11 0.0314 0.16012
> 0.000800  5.10 0.0544 0.27734
> 0.000900  5.10 0.0234 0.11923
> 0.001000  5.11 0.0304 0.15505
>
> I don't have any problems running things and getting output here.
>
> I *have* seen two real bugs here while trying to get things running,
> though:
>
>  1. If the device specified in the config file doesn't exist, or is
>     the wrong type of device, or (maybe) there is any other kind of
>     problem with it, you get *no* useful feedback to say there's a
>     problem. Running things under strace will show the background
>     libarmep process attempt to use the device specified, but there's
>     no error handling. :-(
>
> 2. The "-x" option says that the arm-probe program is meant to exit
>    when you've done capturing, but it just sits there forever when I'm
>    testing. I've wrapped it using the "timeout" command to work around
>    that for now.
>
> If I knew where to file those bugs, I would, but it's really not
> obvious. They're really easy to reproduce, I hope...
>
> In terms of the /dev/ttyACM0 creation, the lxc-device man page says
> that it creates devices based on their existing entries on the
> host. Double-check that the host (dispatcher) has an appropriate
> /dev/ttyACM0 if you're still seeing problems?

Steve was using staging-panda03 with the ARM Energy Probe which I'd
been using for the tests of the new code to ensure that /dev/ttyACM0
can be attached to the LXC.

That panda and AEP will shortly return to staging and then the changes
to LAVA and the required changes to the test definition can be
available for the 2017.6 release.

--

Neil Williams