I support adding public chargers; I wasn’t clear if it seems I am not.  My 
point is that at home chargers provide an option that has no equivalent for 
gasoline cars.  In the past I was forced to use a gas station once a week; now 
I can do all my normal driving without ever using a public or commercial 
station. I’ve gone to Amherst and back, Southern NH and all around the Boston 
area without recharging. I can do local driving for a whole week on one charge, 
or a substantial day trip. Anything I used to do with one tank I can do with 
one charge. Given my lifestyle, it is already easier to keep my electric car 
going than it was to keep my gas car going.

Improving the infrastructure will just make it better, but it is already good 
enough for me. I know other people have different lifestyles or situations, but 
I think there are many people like myself. For people in my situation, there is 
nothing about the current infrastructure that makes it difficult to use an 
electric vehicle, and the future will be better.

> On Sep 30, 2022, at 11:54 AM, Anne Sobol <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> I don't agree.  I would like to explore the possibility of some public 
> chargers in Lincoln.  (I have my own charger in my garage here.)  
> 
> When I stayed with my friends in Westford after moving from California with 
> my Chevy Bolt in late 2020, charging was a problem.  It's not so simple as 
> you make it sound to just plug into any old socket in someone's garage, I'll 
> spare you the details.  Subsequently Westford undertook to install several 
> public chargers in the center of town, and that is great.  When I visit my 
> sister in Mattapoisett, I no longer have to drive down to New Bedford and sit 
> on the wharf while my car charges.  The town hall in Marion next door to 
> Mattapoisett has two free chargers, and when I visit my sister, we drive over 
> to Marion, plug my car in overnight, and pick it up in the morning.  I think 
> I understand that Marion made a deal to change its town vehicles to electric 
> and somehow scored the chargers for free.
> 
> I'd like to look into this for Lincoln.  My friend Ellen in Westford can put 
> me in touch with the people there who handled the issue in Westford.  I 
> understand how difficult this may be, but I envision a few chargers in 
> Lincoln Station and perhaps at the Library.  What do you say?
> 
> On Fri, Sep 30, 2022 at 11:37 AM Christopher Eliot <[email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>> wrote:
> There has been a lot of national discussion about the need to improve access 
> to charging stations for cars.  Since many or most people who buy electric 
> cars will install a charger at home, I don’t think we need a public 
> infrastructure equal to the gasoline infrastructure.  I have used public 
> chargers about three times in the three years I’ve had an electric vehicle, 
> so it really is not critical to me. Obviously there are people in different 
> situations but there are many people in the same situation.
> 
> I am happy to see more public chargers installed, but access to public 
> chargers is often given as a deal breaker for the purchase of electric 
> vehicles. I question the truth of this assumption; about 65% of americans own 
> their own home and should be able to install a charger. Some percentage of 
> apartments provide chargers, and many people can charge vehicles at work. I 
> don’t think it is correct to think that electric vehicles require just as 
> many charging locations as we have gas stations because this ignores the 
> possibility of charging at any location you can find an electric plug, which 
> is just about everywhere.
> -- 
> The LincolnTalk mailing list.
> To post, send mail to [email protected] 
> <mailto:[email protected]>.
> Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/ 
> <http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/>.
> Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/ 
> <https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/>.
> Change your subscription settings at 
> https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln 
> <https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln>.
> 

-- 
The LincolnTalk mailing list.
To post, send mail to [email protected].
Search the archives at http://lincoln.2330058.n4.nabble.com/.
Browse the archives at https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/private/lincoln/.
Change your subscription settings at 
https://pairlist9.pair.net/mailman/listinfo/lincoln.

Reply via email to