Wednesday September 13, 2023

Dear LT,

I am posting my personal views, not as a member of the TownPlanning Board, but
as one resident of this unique town. I want to thank the CommunityCenter
Building Committee and the Architects for their hard work for our Townover the
last several months. However, after listening to the Community CenterBuilding
Committee’s Forum last evening, it has become very clear to me thatthe Town’s
vision to improve facilities for the COA cannot be accomplished onthe school
site as “selected” by residents of the Town a few years ago. Wehired excellent
architects who have listened to the committee and the publicnow for several
months and have come up with 3+ major plans, recommending themiddle priced one
that is at 75% the original very expensive estimate given to uslast year. The
lowest price option was shown to be inadequate for COAactivities and would be
only as one person said “moving the COA from onedeficient site to another”.

It was also clear that remaining on the school site means we“must”, according
to the committee leadership, include in our community centerrenovating or
rebuilding space for the after school program called “LEAP”,despite many
residents giving input that this program is the school’sresponsibility and not
that of a Community Center. In addition there are safetyissues related to
traffic patterns, increased cars and children walking or onbikes to get to and
from school and activities.

Furthermore, it was clear from the lack of discussion on thetopic last night,
that there was no SERIOUS consideration by the committee ofother sites
throughout Town that could be appropriate for a community center,particularly
COA functions. While Bemis Hall and the Pierce House have beenvisited, no
details about what it would take to renovate them have beenpresented, nor has
anyone taken the time to investigate whether the Town coulduse other buildings
or space, historic or otherwise, along Lincoln Rd or nearby and renovate anyof
them for a community center that at least houses the COA. Mainly, thecommittee
remains on the school campus because it is the best place for Parksand Rec to
be and many people want to mix generations in a “Community Centerfor All”.

I would like to propose that a new Town Committee be formedof concerned
residents, who would still like to see the Town have a safe andup-to-date
improved space for a COA, to conduct activities, but do not wanttaxes raised
any further, and be a committee that SERIOUSLY examines existingsites that
could be renovated, even if it means the cost of purchasing them forthe Town. I
would be happy to serve on such a committee. In the mean time untilthis
committee does its work, we should put the Building Committee andarchitects on
hold and not have a special Town Meeting to vote on the Schoolsite options in
December. When Town’s residents selected the school site as the“best” for a
community center, they did not know what we know now.

Lynn DeLisi

125 South Great Rd