Carol,

The state is only looking at the parcels of land and what could potentially
be built on them if they were empty. It doesn’t require any units to be
built, and doesn’t take into account any units that are currently there. It
just requires rezoning to a higher density allowed “by right”. So a
developer wouldn’t need to take a building proposal to town meeting like
they do now in almost all of Lincoln.

However, it’s worth noting that the RLF is currently working with the
oriole landing developer to get the 25 units per acre at the mall- making
it possible to built 100 apartments with businesses on the first floor and
apartments on the second and third floors. Once this rezoning passes, they
will sell to the developer and the development will happen (this has been
stated by numerous members of the HCAWG).

The Commons refers to the assisted living/55+ community. It is about 30
acres of land and no wetlands, so it is ideal to rezone for the HCA. (When
you include wetlands you have to keep adding more acres and higher density
to balance out the average ‘units per acre’ to be above the minimum
required 15).

This also would benefit the commons, who want to add more units (but a
reasonable amount), so rezoning could allow them to do so without going to
town meeting.

If the Commons are included in rezoning, only 12 other developable acres of
land would need to be rezoned- 8.4 of which need to be within 1/2 mile of
the train station.

Sarah