I'm messing about with extracting images from flash members, and I want the image with alpha channel.

I'm dismayed to discover that if the flash member contains any text, the useAlpha property is locked to 'false' and extractAlpha() always produces an all-black image.

Can this really be true or am I overlooking something?

If I remove the text it works fine, I can pull out the alpha without any trouble.

Another question, if I set a (displayed) text variable in a Flash movie, is there any way I can get the image out at all, even without an alpha?

I seem to remember something with static and posterframe, but can't work it out. As soon as there is text in the Flash member, the image object starts to misbehave. I'm just using plain ol' verdana too.

BTW this is all part of a localization issue, where I want to have localized strings from external XML, in Turkish and Greek, with the relevant non-roman characters, appearing as overlays in a SW3D sprite.

For this reason I need nicely rendered dynamic text as image objects with alpha channels and with support for heterogeneous character sets.

Macromedia's 'Support' for unicode in Director boils down to

"Use Flash Members
(it's SO easy to click here and buy Flash MX now!)"

...well I bought Flash MX 2004 already, but none of this helps if I want unicode text to appear as an overlay in SW3D.

If anyone has any bright ideas about how to manage this thorny problem, please let me know. :)

Brennan