On 12/7/05 at 11:16, Thomas Higgins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Anyone else had this problem?
>
> I'm not aware of this being a current problem in Director/Shockwave. How
> are you determining that only one gets preloaded?

Well in some cases Director actually hangs. Other times I get an Error for
all of the items. Sometimes the first one loads but I get an error on the
other three.

Now I am at home with my Mac, MX 2004 and a very modest ADSL and it is
behaving a bit better. Yesterday on Windows XP with MX (D9) and a a very
fast connection, it was only preloading one url out of four.

> Are you using
> separately stored net ID numbers and only seeing one ever reach
> completion?

Yes, that's it in a nutshell. It seems to be a problem doing something
like

property netIDs

on beginsprite me

  clearcache -- you know, to test

  myListOfUrls =  []

  -- some reasonably large JPGs...

  myListOfUrls.add("http://www.maconlinux.org/sshots/pic11.jpg";)
  myListOfUrls.add("http://www.maconlinux.org/sshots/pic12.jpg";)
  myListOfUrls.add("http://www.maconlinux.org/sshots/pic2.jpg";)
  myListOfUrls.add("http://www.maconlinux.org/sshots/pic4.jpg";)

  netIDs = []

  repeat with u in myListOfUrls
    netIDs.add(preloadNetThing(u))
  end repeat

end

on exitFrame me

  out = []
  repeat with netID in netIDs

    stats = getStreamStatus(netID)

    out.add(stats)

  end repeat

  member("debugStr").text = string(out)

end

Apparently preloadNetThing gets confused sometimes by this kind of rapid
fire call.

Workaround:

If you make a little state machine which waits (for example on exitframe)
to be sure that each item has started to come down the pipe before doing
the next call to preLoadNetThing, then everything works ok. It gets kinda
sluggish with all that traffic, but it does work.

This is quite an important gotcha because (at least under some
circumstances) it seems for all the world as if only one preloadnetthing
is working.

I hope this may be useful to some folks.

Brennan