I have just found (in the last couple of days) a bug in Director
related to this.  The bug is that whenever you execute a line like
the one below  (that sets the filename of a linked member), Director
refreshes the screen (in effect, it does an updateStage).  If you
have the member in a sprite, it will show the newly linked file
immediately, before you have had a chance to do any modifications to
the rect, height, width, etc.  Even if the member is not present in
the frame, the screen will be refreshed.

Try putting a breakpoint on that line of code.  When you hit the
breakpoint, step once.  The screen will be refreshed.  The problem I
am seeing is that this is happending even in an "on prepareFrame"
handler, where there is not supposed to be any screen updating.

Unfortunately, there is no easy work-around.  I have been
experimenting with a wide range of hacks.  Nothing perfect so far ...

Irv

--

Lingo / Director / Shockwave development for all occasions.

   (Home-made Lingo cooked up fresh every day just for you.)