> So, I look to you all for any other ideas or concepts. Given the size of
the
> book she's converting, I'd rather like to avoid me or her typing in all
> 16,000+ terms, but without a definitive list of what's contained in the
book
> I can't see how to test if the search term would exist or not.
>
> Hope this makes sense!

You could try to standardize the conversion process and write a quick tool
to create the index. For example in one of my projects here's what I did.

I developed a cast member naming convention something like "cstTxtTerms1",
"cstTxtTerms2", etc. Each cast member contained a lot of text a term and its
definition. Each term-definition pair will constitute a paragraph and the
terms and their definitions are seperated by a "~~" sign. The cast member
naming convention also mapped to the frame labels. I then wrote a quick a
tool to go through each cast member and build the index.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Anand Ravi