Hello folks,

I've got these simple questions that i've encountered while working with
Director 8.

1. About lists. Let's say i've got a bunch of hefty #bitmap members in my
cast and i made up my mind to add them all to a linear list to easily
manipulate them. As far as i understand, Lingo manages lists entirely in
RAM, so i wonder, will a lingo list duplicate all tose members in memory or
just create references to them (in RAM of course) and that way manipulate
them?

2. About variables. I started to read www.director-online.com articles to
fortify my knowldege of Director. From time to time i come across these
statements in articles: "...try to use variables...". So what's the
difference:

on exitFrame me
  set the locH of sprite the spriteNum of me to the locH of sprite the
spriteNum of me + 1
end

(watch for line wrap)

and

on exitFrame me
  set aSprite to the spriteNum of me
  set aLocH to the locH of sprite aSprite
  set aLoc to aLoc + 1
end

Another exmaple:

on exitFrame me
  set the scrollTop of member the member of sprite the spriteNum of me to
the scrollTop of member the member of sprite the spriteNum of me + 1
end

(watch for line wrap)

and

on exitFrame me
  set aSprite to the spriteNum of me
  set aMember to the member of sprite aSprite
  set the scrollTop of aMember to the scrollTop of aMember + 1
end

In the second exitFrame examples Director has to reassign variables each
time it refreshes the frame and therefore (to my mind) it looses speed. I
may be wrong of course, but can i get some guidelines of when do i have to
assign variables and when should i use explicit "usage"?

TIA
Petro Bochan