At 14:12 28.09.2004 -0400, you wrote:
Never, EVER depend upon the capitalization of #symbols.

There's weird magic where if you enter #ShutUpROYmeo in Director, that capitalization is saved in some symbol look-up-table and it's pretty much always going to be that way. You, or someone, or some bit of lingo/utility code/libraries, etc. had a #resourceID symbol that was the first one it hit, or it may be something used internally in director....mine is showing up as #resourceID, too.

I don't know what it is used for or by, which was your question, sorry.

But people will sometimes ask about this because they want to control capitalization of symbols, and get very frustrated with results like: #Peter, #Paul, #Ringo and #john.

roymeo
(now a part of his symbol table)

;-)

To which I might add that this topic has been discussed plenty often here and on other lists and searching the archives on 'symboltable' would yield lots of details and ways to handle this.
Personally I prefer to keep a lookup table, a property list of the form [#symbol:"StringExpression"] for those few cases where I depend on the case of expressions which I want to use as symbols, too.

daniel