>> But isn't doing a #define the same as assiging a value to
>> variable in the preprocessor?

> Not really. A #define is a constant, not a variable. If I recall
> correctly, #define statements are technically macros and can be
> used to replace code in-line.

Exactly right-o; I meant that defining a variable as a constant at the
compiler level is similar to pound-defining at the preprocessor level. That
is, this code...

on prepareMovie
  kPi = pi()
  kFriction = 0.998
end

...which is nothing more than setting variables marked as constants (the 'k'
prefix), will get you essentially the same result as a #define. Lingo
doesn't allow declaring variables as CONST, so the closest thing I've found
is using a prefix like 'k' and making sure I never change it.

Anyway thanks for the clarification.

I'm also glad to hear someone else compare symbols to enumerated types.
That's how I've explained them to myself in the past.

Regards
Rob

* Rob Wingate, Software Human    *
* http://www.vingage.com         *