>From pen and paper to Wickr: the battle to save government decisions

By Shane Wright  April 19, 2021 
https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/from-pen-and-paper-to-wickr-the-battle-to-save-government-decisions-20210416-p57jqr.html


Laws made for the days of pen and paper could allow the nation’s most senior 
ministers and public servants to avoid scrutiny of their decisions by the 
voting public, integrity agencies and historians as they use encrypted 
messaging systems like WhatsApp and Wickr.

As the National Archives warns vital audio-visual records of disappearing 
Indigenous languages and ASIO surveillance video could disintegrate before 
being properly stored, it and other agencies are fighting to even get their 
hands on new forms of information widely used by elected officials to make 
long-lasting policy decisions.

The National Archives collects all official documents created by departments 
and ministers, including cabinet papers that are released with a 20-year delay. 
The papers are heavily mined by historians and analysts to understand key 
policies.

Documents also come under the Freedom of Information Act, often used by media 
companies to reveal the inner workings of government, while agencies such as 
the National Audit Office can access documents created by public servants as it 
looks to see if government programs are being run efficiently and properly.

But a government-commissioned review of the archives, which found the agency 
struggling under the weight of long-term funding cuts, warned the very 
definition of what constituted a government record needed to be updated to 
reflect the changed way in which ministers and departments go about their 
business.

“The definition of a record needs to reflect current international standards, 
be more directly
applied to digital technologies, and more clearly provide for direct capture of 
records that are
susceptible to deletion, such as emails, texts or online messages,” the Tune 
review into the archives found.

When ministers leave Parliament they are required to leave official documents 
with the National Archives. They include communications with other ministers, 
including the prime minister, relating to their portfolio responsibilities as 
well as records of “deliberations, decision-making, appointments and 
terminations”.

Ministerial records, including those with public servants, that are created or 
received using social media, SMS as well as encrypted messaging systems are 
covered by this requirement.

But archives director David Fricker has revealed despite the collection of 
documents from retired ministers and prime ministers over recent years, there’s 
no sign that encrypted messages have been handed over as part of a collection 
of official documents.

“I would be very surprised if we have yet received any transfers of WhatsApp 
messages or that generation of technology,” he told a parliamentary hearing 
last week.

Mr Fricker said it was clear the technology was being used.

“It’s an absolute certainty. I think it’s well-known that government officials 
are communicating with WhatsApp and other platforms similar to that,” he said.

While the archives requires the retention of important records there are no 
penalties if they are not. As some encrypted messaging systems destroy 
messages, it may be impossible to even track their creation.

Even social media posts, which are being used extensively by Prime Minister 
Scott Morrison, can prove problematic as they are held by foreign, private 
companies which in years to come may cease to exist.

The Office of the Australian Information Commissioner said the Freedom of 
Information Act gave the public the legal right to access documents of an 
agency or ministers. That included the right to messages on mobile devices and 
messaging applications.

“The OAIC considers that documents required to be retained should be managed in 
such a way as to facilitate searching for them in response to an FOI request,” 
a spokesperson for the commissioner said.

Labor MP Julian Hill said the government had to explain why it was taking so 
long to deal with the issues around encrypted messages.

“There was clear and compelling evidence from the National Archives and the 
Auditor-General about the need to retain records of encrypted communications 
that relate to government decisions,” he said.

Assistant minister to the Attorney-General, Amanda Stoker, says a response to 
the Tune review into the National Archives will be finalised this year.

“There’s an urgent need to modernise the regime as it relates to the public 
service.”

The Assistant Minister to the Attorney-General, Amanda Stoker, said the 
government was taking a methodical approach in responding to the review, adding 
its total recommendations could cost between $70 million and $205 million a 
year.

Senator Stoker said a formal response should be finalised by year’s end.

“I’m concerned to make sure the archives of this country are available to us 
for the long term. It’s an important part of our history,” she said.

While agencies deal with issues around encrypted messages, the National 
Archives is also fighting to maintain the records it does hold.

Mr Fricker revealed some irreplaceable documents were already at risk, 
particularly audio-visual recordings that range from Indigenous culture such as 
languages and ceremonies to surveillance material collated by ASIO.

“I think this is about engaging and sustaining citizens’ trust in government 
and defending our democracy, because transparency and accountability are the 
foundations for people to have trust in their institutions,” he said.

“If we lose records then they are permanently and irretrievably lost.”

--


_______________________________________________
Link mailing list
[email protected]
https://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/link

Reply via email to