Australia has an important USO decision .. wires or wireless?

Tom, is https://birrraus.com/starlink-in-australia/ an option?

By Zoe Samios   November 15, 2021  
https://www.theage.com.au/business/companies/telstra-s-rivals-take-aim-at-regional-service-payments-worth-billions-20211111-p59854.html



Under the Universal Service Obligation policy, Optus, TPG Telecom and Vocus 
Group and other telcos are forced to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to 
Telstra to fund baseline telephone services to Australians in regional areas.

Telstra’s biggest rivals have condemned a decision by the federal government to 
delay an independent review into payments worth billions it receives to deliver 
landline services in regional Australia, arguing the money could be better 
spent on more modern communications technologies.

The three telcos and Telstra are urging the government to reform the 
legislation after the Department of Communications told a Senate Estimates 
hearing last month a review would be delayed by up to two years.

TPG Telecom’s external affairs executive, Tim McPhail, said he was disappointed 
with the delay, arguing it was a “staggering sum of money” that could be better 
spent.

“Reports by the audit office and productivity commission have already 
highlighted an alarming lack of transparency, accountability and controls 
around the USO arrangement,” Mr McPhail said.

The review, which will be conducted by an independent third party, was expected 
to look at the technology and systems underpinning the agreement. It was meant 
to occur in 2021, which marks the half-way point in the contract, but the 
department said it would be delayed because of the work the industry was 
already doing on the USO.

The 20-year contract mandates Telstra as the fixed-line phone service provider, 
giving it hundreds of millions of dollars each year for the installation and 
maintenance of fixed-line services. This year the telcos will contribute $227 
million to the levy, with Telstra to foot most of the bill. The rest is funded 
by taxpayers.

Its rivals argue this is a waste of money given most people use mobile phones 
and there are other faster alternatives, like Low Earth Orbit satellites, that 
can deliver services in these areas.

Optus’ vice-president of regulatory and public affairs, Andrew Sheridan, said 
the USO was well past its used by date.

“Fundamentally, it’s not delivering the right outcomes for regional 
Australians, so it’s disappointing. At the end of the day, one of the problems 
with the USO is that taxpayers and companies such as Optus to sign a cheque 
every year that goes to Telstra, and there’s no requirement for them to prove 
that they’re investing that into regional services,” Mr Sheridan said.

A Vocus spokesperson said new technologies like LEO satellites had dramatic 
implications for the USO. “Taxpayers and consumers ultimately foot the bill for 
Telstra’s outdated landline voice services in regional Australia, when vastly 
superior technologies are already available at less cost,” he said.

A review of the USO has been on the cards since 2015, when it was recommended 
by a regional telecommunications review. Communications Minister Paul Fletcher, 
who at the time was parliamentary secretary to the communications minister, 
said the USO would be better if it was built on incentives to reduce costs.

A report by the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) found serious issues 
with the commercial terms of the agreement with Telstra, citing a lack of 
evidence that a public benefit had been realised. A productivity commission 
report in 2017 said that the USO should be wound up by 2020 as it was no longer 
necessary once the NBN was complete. The government said at the time it would 
implement changes to the USO, but nothing has happened since then.

Telstra said it would welcome a review, arguing it could allow it to invest in 
new technologies.

“We have been encouraging reform of the USO arrangements for many years,” a 
Telstra spokesman said. “We understand the desire for regional communities to 
have access to new technologies and to expand their range of communications 
options, but it will be much more difficult to deliver on this desire if we are 
required by government policy to continue investing in maintaining the ageing 
copper network. This requirement is holding back the development and 
large-scale rollout of new technologies.”

A spokesperson for Mr Fletcher said the government would not make changes to 
the USO until it was satisfied it would result in better services for regional 
Australia. “While the government is always open to ideas, we have not heard 
anything to date which would meet this test,” the spokesperson said.


Zoe Samios – Zoë Samios is a media and telecommunications reporter at The 
Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

_______________________________________________
Link mailing list
[email protected]
https://mailman.anu.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/link

Reply via email to