Karl and Noel write,

>> I note that more and more mobile providers are now charging for data
>> sessions by rounding each session up to the next megabyte.
>>
>> This is something which strikes me as unfair - any person who uses
>> their smartphone in an area with less than perfect coverage can have
>> their allowance eaten up or overages skyrocket due to data sessions
>> automatically
>
> yeah, try going .. a 22 min drive, if you leave data on, you eat about
> 10 MB in charges,  without using any data... and that's "each way" not
> total trip :)
>
>> .. reconnecting and registering as a full megabyte of usage, when only
>> a few kilobytes has traversed the network.
>
> try a few bytes.

Yes, agreed completely. Was only thinking this exact same thing yesterday.

We're with AldiMobile (Telstra 3G) and, here's a part of a recent invoice.

They advertise that they charge 5 cents / megabyte / session for net data.

For this particular Android tablet, I've never used a tenth of a megabyte
per THEIR session which appears to be one hour. That's their session, not
our actual session. Therefore they're charging 5 cents/hour NOT /megabyte.

We power-off this tablet, for long periods of time, when it's not in use.

But in future with always-on smartphones that continually update, it will
soon get ridiculous. Surely the ACCC should have a word or ten about this?

Data 15.58KB  $0.05 2013-11-04 03:03:44

Data 33.65KB  $0.05 2013-11-04 04:03:26

Data 7.55KB   $0.05 2013-11-04 05:33:22

Data 38.41KB  $0.05 2013-11-04 06:02:49