"The 1865 [UK] "Red Flag" act required all road locomotives, which included
automobiles, to travel at a maximum of 4 mph in the country and 2 mph in
towns and have a crew of three, one of whom should carry a red flag walking
60 yards ahead of each vehicle. The 1896 Act removed the need for the crew
of three and raised the speed to 14 mph."  [Wikipedia]

If they actually work reliably - and I guess we can assume they will get
better over time - I expect people will get used to them and think they are
a normal part of the urban environment.  That's how people work.  To my
mind the really tough issue would be physics: handling the gusty turbulent
airflow around buildings in any kind of wind.  This might preclude them
from operating on some days in some places, so you wouldn't have a reliable
service.  To be economically viable, a new technology has to actually
replace something (or be really cool.)  Developing landing and collision
avoidance protocols would be relatively easy though there's sure to be some
euphemisms developed for a new category of failures.

As long as there isn't constant beeping as they buzz around...

BTW these things wouldn't have to be fully autonomous, they could be
assisted during critical phases of their flight by operators who may be
geographically distant.  Most likely such a service would start off doing
standard runs between a set of points.  A little like this, in a different
age: http://londonparticulars.wordpress.com/2010/11/28/going-postal/

- Jim