On 28/04/14 11:38 AM, Rachel Polanskis wrote:
>  This is where it gets tricky - if there is a power outage, the ONT
>  will stay up, but we need a UPS for the switch now, as with the
>  phone. Some of this kind of logic may be beyond ordinary users, as
>  they may expect to have a phone service in a blackout, but will not,
>  unless they back the network or at least the switch, with a UPS!

I have an NBN connection, it's fixed wireless so it has no battery backup.

If the power goes out, we just use our mobiles.

We have the option of installing a UPS and running the NBN and our VoIP
equipment from that, but I agree that this might be beyond most consumers.

Related to this, and Tom's posts... perhaps there exists an opportunity
for a third party to offer an NBN configuration service. They come in,
evaluate the consumer's requirements then install equipment and cabling
to meet those requirements. They might even program the set top box and
balance the surround sound while they're there :)

  ...R.