An appropriate response Roger. Also one might say, after Snowden's continued
revelations today, that Aussie efforts regarding any secret retention of local
data in future might well be irrelevant given probable NSA interception. Haha,
apparently the Americans will be 'secretly' collecting all of our local digital
communications anyway, so we might as well not bother. Only problem is, I doubt
Brandis has any idea about such NSA activities.

>  I'd greatly appreciate .. pointers to good references  ..
> http://www.rogerclarke.com/DV/DRPS.html

http://www.smh.com.au/it-pro/security-it/edward-snowden-reveals-tapping-of-major-australianew-zealand-undersea-telecommunications-cable-20140915-10h96v.html

Quote: "A major undersea telecommunications cable that connects Australia and
New Zealand to North America has been tapped to allow the United States
National Security Agency and its espionage partners to comprehensively harvest
Australian and New Zealand internet data ...

The latest revelations from Mr Snowden's trove of leaked intelligence documents
are likely to fuel debate in Australia about the Commonwealth Government's
controversial proposals for compulsory retention of metadata by
telecommunications and internet service providers for access without warrant by
the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation and law enforcement agencies.
Attorney-General George Brandis yesterday confirmed the Australian Government's
determination to introduce legislation to mandate the compulsory data retention
"later in the year"." End quote.

Cheers,
Stephen