Of Link interest .. Australia is leading the world in Vehicle-to-Everything
(V2X) technology.

At the South Australian company Cohda Wireless website  (www.cohdawireless.com)
 they say ..

(Quote) “The complete solution, Cohda is the world's most advanced and most
experienced V2X provider

Cohda’s engagement in V2X trials is second-to-none. Cohda V2X products dominate
world field trails and deployments, with more than 60% of vehicles in V2X
trials globally incorporating Cohda products.

Cohda is the only company to offer complete V2X solutions – Road Side, On
Board, and Radio Module hardware products, and software stacks from that Access
Layer to the Applications Layer. This allows Cohda to maximize revenue share in
V2X products.

Cohda is also one of very few companies active in both European and US key
markets, as well as being active in the emerging Asian V2X markets of Japan,
Korea and China. Cohda has sold products in more than 15 countries.  (End quote)

--
Telstra Media Release: (Quote)

“Telstra and Cohda Wireless successfully trial V2I technology over 4G”

4 OCTOBER 2016:

Telstra, in partnership with Cohda Wireless, has successfully trialled
Vehicle-to-Infrastructure (V2I) technology over Telstra’s 4G network in South
Australia, a pivotal first step in developing Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X)
technology.

Examples of V2X include vehicles talking to infrastructure (such as traffic
lights), vehicles talking to other vehicles, and vehicles talking to vulnerable
road users such as cyclists and pedestrians.

The use and development of V2X communications will enable the creation of
intelligent transport systems that may allow more efficient use of road
infrastructure, better traffic management (reduced congestion) and, in the
future, coordinated and safe autonomous vehicle operation.

Most importantly, it will likely lead to increased safety for road users as the
impact of human error can be minimised as vehicles will be able to communicate
and react to their surroundings.

Telstra believes its 4G and future 5G networks can play a vital role in
supporting the faster rollout of intelligent transport systems and V2X
applications, making implementation of the technology cheaper and more
efficient.

Telstra’s Director of Technology Andrew Scott said that the successful V2I
trial marked the first phase of Telstra’s plan to show how V2X technology can
be supported via Telstra’s 4G network.

“While there has been a lot of focus around future transport technology, there
has not been much work done to date in Australia on supporting intelligent
transport systems via existing 4G mobile networks,” Andrew said.

“The trial we just completed in South Australia confirms that 4G can support
V2I applications. These applications included alerting a driver to roadworks
ahead, giving green light priority to high priority vehicles, and testing
optimal green light timing where the vehicle is informed of the optimal speed
to approach a traffic light so that that they get a green light when they
arrive, therefore allowing a more continuous flow of traffic.“

However this is only the first phase of our project with additional trial
phases lined up for testing Vehicle-to-Vehicle and Vehicle-to-Vulnerable
(bicycles and pedestrians)
.
“We are particularly excited about the upcoming Vehicle-to-Vulnerable testing
as we will be able to showcase the Australian-first sending of standardised
intelligent transport systems messages over the 4G network to enable
interaction of vehicles with smartphone-equipped bicycles.” CEO of Cohda
Wireless, the world leading supplier of V2X solutions for Connected and
Autonomous Vehicles (CAV), Paul Gray said

“There are a number of V2X use cases that can be deployed right now using 4G,
and Telstra’s 4G network is ideal for supporting these. We are very pleased to
be working with Telstra towards the shared goal of making roads safer, greener,
and less congested.”

The South Australian Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Stephen
Mullighan said “We are positioning South Australia to become a key player in
this emerging industry, and by leading efforts to accommodate driverless and
autonomous technologies on SA roads, we are pursuing the safety, productivity
and mobility benefits of these technologies, as well as new opportunities for
our businesses and our economy.”

“Last year we hosted the first on-road trials of autonomous vehicles in the
Southern Hemisphere and this year we became the first Australian jurisdiction
to legislate to allow further on-road trials.“

Our Government is striving to create an environment which nurtures companies
developing autonomous technologies, including Telstra and Cohda Wireless, and
this exciting initiative demonstrates the progress South Australia is making to
take a share of this projected $90 billion industry.”

Telstra, Cohda Wireless and the South Australia Department of Planning,
Transport and Infrastructure are all partners of the Australian Driverless
Vehicle Initiative (ADVI), a partnership of government, industry and academic
partners working collaboratively to research, investigate and help inform the
development of robust national policy, legislation, regulation and operational
procedures and processes to bring driverless vehicles safely and successfully
to Australian roads.

Telstra and Cohda Wireless intend to trial Vehicle-to-Vehicle and
Vehicle-to-Vulnerable technologies in South Australia within the coming months.
(End quote)

Ref:
http://cohdawireless.com/Portals/0/Telstra%20and%20Cohda%20Wireless%20successfully%20trial%20V2I%20technology%20over%204G%20(3).pdf

Media contact: Telstra General Manager Media, Michael Zappone

--

Cheers,
Stephen