On Wednesday, 18 July 2018 15:01:58 AEST Dr Bob Jansen (in Korea) wrote:

> Why not use a chip inside our Medicare card? We need it for treatment anyway
> so why not have a system wherein the treating clinician uploads their notes
> or discharge summary into that chip. Then security is dependent on physical
> access with presumably some sort of PIN/Biometric.  Chip can be scrambled so
> unreadable without correct code. Then the patient is completely in charge. If
> they want the treatment recorded they have to present the card else it will
> not be recorded. A true patient medical record, My Medical Record!

There are reportedly 12,860 health organisations and up to 900,000 health
professionals in Australia, and all of them would have to be able to access the
card by design, so all would know the PIN.  That being the case there's hardly
any point in encryption, particularly since the card would be physically the
responsibility of its' owner.

However a more systemic question arises as to the purpose of the Health Record.
 Is it intended to contain a complete record of the holder's medical history,
or only critical information which might be needed in an emergency when the
holder is unable to communicate it?

If it's for emergency use, then a medical bracelet or something similar is much
simpler and more reliable.  And Emergency Room staff don't have time to wade
through years of irrelevant information when a patient is bought in unconscious.

If not, then what really is the intention of MyHR?  I don't think the
Government has been clear about this.

MyHR does not seem to have been thought through, even at an engineering level.
In that respect it's rather like the "multi technology mix" redesign of the NBN.

DavidL.