On 11/10/2018 10:37 AM, Tom Worthington wrote:

Perhaps you need something other than email to get these files. If these are
from students, for example, you might use a Learning Management System (such as
Moodle), an e-portfolio system (Mahara), or version control system (Git). You
get an email alert with a link taking you to the file (s) stored in the system.

I agree with Tom.  Short of using some purpose-built package, you could
probably also ask for the files to be copied to a specified directory using FTP
or HTTP, with an emailed notification if that's required.  However student
submissions might need a conclusive audit trail!

My own email client (Kmail) has excellent filtering options, including running
a command-line (e.g. BASH) script, but Thunderbird seems quite deficient there.

David L.