[Would it *really* be too difficult to establish law that precludes any
merchant from storing the whole of their customers' credi-card details;  but
permits them to store a (substantial) portion of it, and collect, use and
immediately delete the (just-substantial-enough) remainder?

[1234-5678-1234-xxxx  mm/yy  xxx

[There's also an argument for requiring the customer to supply mm/yy as well,
each time they transact - although that's primarily to reduce the cost, delay
and interruption arising from using outdated expiry-dates.]

Visa to stop Australian online merchants from storing credit card numbers
Store checkouts to be issued with tokens to thwart breaches.
Julian Bajkowski
itNews
Oct 17 2018
https://www.itnews.com.au/news/visa-to-stop-australian-online-merchants-from-storing-credit-card-numbers-514044

> ... unprecedented pressure from the Reserve Bank of Australia and other
> financial regulators for banks and payments schemes to clean-up ballooning
> levels of online card fraud.
>
>Online payments fraud on all Australian cards hit a whopping $476 million for
>the 2017 calendar year, surging from $418.1 million in 2016 according to
>official statistics from industry body the Australian Payments Network
>released in August.
>The stubborn growth in online fraud has prompted high-level rethink of
>payments regulations, especially because banks for the most part pass through
>online fraud losses to increasingly angry merchants forced to pick up the tab.
>
>Over the last decade, the growth in online that has resulted in most fraud
>liability being shifted from institutions to merchants, creating what many
>believe is a perverse incentive for card issuers and payments processors to
>pay just lip service terms of fixing the issue.

[My impression has been that merchants have *always* copped most of it.  I
remember a factoid from a conference in Wellington a few years ago, where the
CEO of Kiwibank - a small and not-powerful institution - essentially had zero
direct costs from card-fraud (as distinct from expenses trying to prevent it,
and to manage it).]

>"COF tokenisation replaces card details with unique digital identifiers
>('tokens') that are used for payment without exposing a cardholder's sensitive
>information," Visa said in a statement.
>
>"Each token is merchant-specific, so can only be used with the merchant where
>it is stored, removing any incentive for hackers to try to steal the account
>data."

Tel: +61 2 6288 6916                        http://about.me/roger.clarke
mailto:roger.cla...@xamax.com.au                http://www.xamax.com.au/

Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.