Alibaba crafts world's 'fastest' 'open-source' RISC-V processor yet

Coming to an FPGA near you, soon, maybe, hopefully?

By Katyanna Quach 27 Jul 2019
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/07/27/alibaba_risc_v_chip/

Chinese tech giant Alibaba claims to have designed the fastest RISC-V processor
to date, and reckons it will open source at least some of the blueprints for
others to use.

The chip was unveiled this week at Alibaba's Cloud Summit in the Middle
Kingdom, though details are curiously thin.

Word reaches us of the development, though, amid China's soaring interest in
the fledgling RISC-V which at its heart is an open-source instruction set
architecture backed by Google, Nvidia, Western Digital, Qualcomm, Alibaba, and
others.

RISC-V is exciting for China because it allows the nation's eggheads to access,
improve, and extend a bunch of the West's processor technology without having
to worry about any future US trade sanctions, thanks to the architecture
family's openly available materials.

Everything you need to start experimenting with the tech and improving it – the
ISA documentation, CPU cores, and software stacks – is already out there over
the internet, and it's too late to cut that knowledge off.

While the RISC-V ISA is open source, implementations of its CPU cores don't
have to be – and yet, there are a range of cores available to download,
evaluate, and drop into FPGAs, ASICs, or system-on-chips, for free.

Now you can design custom circuitry and accelerators, add some RISC-V cores to
execute application and management code, test and fabricate it, and voila:
you've got your own chip on the cheap without having to worry about trade
blockades, and your own homegrown intellectual property. Which is cool for
everyone, especially China.

What's under the hood

The unit, dubbed T-head or Pingtouge, which means honey badger in Chinese,
wants to draw up chips to power or accelerate the usual trendy stuff: machine
learning, self-driving cars, edge servers, 5G networks, and the Internet of
Things. The XT 910's architecture is good for producing micrcontrollers,
general-purpose processors, and system-on-chips, we're told.

Here are the specs, according to Alibaba: the Xuantie 910 is a 12nm 64-bit
(RV64GCV) RISC-V processor with 16 cores clocked at up to 2.5GHz. It can
perform out-of-order execution, and has a triple-issue 12-stage pipeline. It is
hoped to be at least partially open sourced soon, allowing you to drop its
hardware-design code into an FPGA to try out and potentially take further.

There's no sign of that source code yet online, though it is expected to land
on GitHub at some point. The component, it is reported, will also go on sale as
a commercial thing – either as a whole system-on-chip, a set of design files to
license, or both, it's not particularly clear.

We imagine central aspects of the Xuantie 910, such as its CPU cores, will be
open sourced, while the rest of the blueprints to complete the processor will
remain closed source, forcing you to pay Alibaba for the full thing. For
evaluation purposes, at least, you should be able to experiment with the design
on a suitable FPGA, if and when any source code is made public.

The aforementioned RV64GCV designation means the Xuantie 910 implements the
base 64-bit RISC-V ISA (RV64G), supports compact 16-bit-wide instructions (C)
as well as the usual 32-bit-wide instructions, and supports
still-in-development vector math operations (V).

Interestingly enough, though, it is also said to include 50 non-official
instructions for assisting and accelerating various tasks, from memory
management and CPU core wrangling to storage access. While RISC-V has strong
support for instruction set extensions, 50 seems a bit much: that's more than
the base 32-bit integer-only instruction set. It's almost as if the Xuantie 910
is a custom processor architecture that happens to be RV64GCV compatible.

Alibaba also claims the Xuantie 910 is up to 40 per cent faster than rival
RISC-V implementations, notably SiFive's 64-bit U74 that is billed as "the
world’s highest performance RISC-V application processor, capable of supporting
full-featured operating systems such as Linux."

Alibaba told its Cloud Summit audience the U74 can manage a CoreMark benchmark
score of 5.1/MHz, whereas its design can reach 7.1.

Bear in mind, the U74 is about on a par with Arm's Cortex-A50-series CPUs. As
always, take vendor-supplied benchmark numbers with a huge pinch of salt.

“The breakthrough is more than a mere performance enhancement of RISC-V
processors,” said Jianyi Meng, senior director at the Alibaba Group, who led
the development of XT 910, according to a press release from the RISC-V
Foundation that has since strangely and mysteriously disappeared from its
website.

“It means more IoT areas that require high-performance computing such as 5G,
AI, networking, gateway, self-driving automobile, and edge server can now be