> Global Research: 65 Countries’ Digital Quality of Life
> ... https://surfshark.com/dql-report.pdf ...
> Highest  DIGITAL QUALITY OF LIFE
> 1. Australia
> We indexed Digital Quality of Life (DQL) based on the internet speed & affordability (broadband and mobile), the presence of personal data protection laws, the state of e-government, the variety & availability of e-entertainment, and the advancement of

Starting with an obvious issue, the criterion of "the presence of personal data protection laws" is laughable.

Firstly, it's a completely inadequate proxy for the real need, which is for comprehensive data protection laws, effective enforcement mechanisms, enforcement resources and actual enforcement.

Secondly, Australia has what are arguably the world's weakest data protection laws, 3 of 8 subsidiary jurisdictions that have either no laws or no laws of consequence, the world's weakest enforcement mechanisms, and the world's weakest data protection commissioners, both in terms of the powers at their disposal and their exercise of such powers as they have.

Assessing "internet speed & affordability" is a complex matter, but a great many people, consumers and policy-watchers alike, would be flabbergasted by what appears to be a remarkably high score.

The "advancement of cybersecurity" is also hilariously off the beam, given the ongoing failure of almost all government agencies to comply with the requirements of cybersecurity agencies, the abject failure of data protection commissioners to define baseline security requirements, the ongoing flood of data breaches, and the abject failure of data protection commissioners to take firm action against *any* organisations within their field of view.

And then there's the small matter of such things as "the variety & availability of e-entertainment", and the vulnerability of consumer devices, being largely international rather than national phenomena.

The quality of the PDF is pretty good. But the quality of the design and the results is ridiculously low.

The company gives its address as Tortola, BVI. I had a client there quite some years ago. It's a funny little corner of the world, and a tax haven, sorry, 'a low-documentation jurisdiction' (their own term).

__________________

Global Research: 65 Countries’ Digital Quality of Life

Digital experience varies wildly around the world. That’s why, together with an
expert panel, Surfshark analyzed and ranked 65 countries which represent over
70% of global population, or around 5.5 billion people.

Highest  DIGITAL QUALITY OF LIFE

1. Australia
2. France
3. Singapore
4. Norway
5. Japan
6. Canada
7. Denmark
8. South Korea
9. Italy
10. Sweden

We indexed Digital Quality of Life (DQL) based on the internet speed &
affordability (broadband and mobile), the presence of personal data protection laws,
the state of e-government, the variety & availability of e-entertainment, and the
advancement of cybersecurity.

Ref: https://surfshark.com/dql
Ref:
https://www.pcmag.com/news/370133/us-comes-in-11th-place-worldwide-for-digital-quality-of-life

Cheers,
Stephen

Roger Clarke                            mailto:roger.cla...@xamax.com.au
T: +61 2 6288 6916   http://www.xamax.com.au  http://www.rogerclarke.com

Xamax Consultancy Pty Ltd 78 Sidaway St, Chapman ACT 2611 AUSTRALIA
Visiting Professor in the Faculty of Law            University of N.S.W.