On 26/8/19 8:55 am, Roger Clarke wrote:

[What would you reckon are the chances ... use for purposes other
than ... “crisis events”?]

I can't imagine our government wanting to censor content which is
inconvenient for them! ;-)

More seriously, hardly anyone sees the live-to-air streaming of attacks. It is the conventional media reporting on it afterwards, which turns a violent incident into terrorism.

There is no way to stop real-time, and near real time, material getting out, unless you are going to introduce a big brother AI monitoring system with hundred of thousands of staff checking constantly (as some countries have).

There is no way to stop all violent attacks. We need the media and government to act responsibly, and not do the terrorists work for them, by scaring the public when such incidents occur. Unfortunately such scare tactics make money for the media, and political capital for governments.

--
Tom Worthington, MEd FHEA FACS CP http://www.tomw.net.au +61(0)419496150
TomW Communications Pty Ltd. PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617, Australia

Honorary Lecturer, Computer Science, Australian National University
https://cecs.anu.edu.au/research/profile/tom-worthington