They're nice charts but I was startled at the bottom one - 'Autocrats aren’t
necessarily better at dealing with coronavirus.' Whoever said they were! And
where's Russia and Brazil on that chart? When the history is finally written I
doubt anyone will pretend autocrats have done even a half-way good job.

This statement is also bizarre, and perhaps reflects the blame-China propaganda
now circulating: 'The autocratic nature of the Chinese Government meant
measures to detect a pandemic weren’t effective and the virus was allowed to
spread initially.'

The first recognised case was 12 December 2019. The first cluster, 27 cases of
an 'unknown viral pneumonia', was reported to the WHO on 31 December. It wasn't
even *identified* as a new coronavirus until 7 January, and the first death
wasn't till 9 January. On 12 January China reported the genetic sequence of
the virus to the world.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/situation-reports/20200121-sitrep-1-2019-ncov.pdf

Eleven million people were locked down in Wuhan on 23 January, when still only
18 deaths and 581 cases had been identified. China has its faults, but its
response was stunningly fast and effective. Yes, some people were reprimanded
during that period of confusion - rather like the stream of US health officials
who've been fired for even mentioning inconvenient facts.

But even if data on a handful of people in winter with a (then) non-lethal and
unidentified pneumonia had appeared a week or two earlier, would that have
saved a single one of the 87 thousand now dead in the US, which casually
squandered two precious months of forewarning and is now blaming the Chinese
for its own breathtaking culpability?

Regards,
Kate Lance