Norway halts coronavirus app over privacy concerns
MIT Technology Review
https://www.technologyreview.com/2020/06/15/1003562/norway-halts-coronavirus-app-over-privacy-concerns/

The news: Norway is halting its coronavirus contact tracing app,
Smittestopp, after criticism from the Norwegian Data Protection
Authority, which said that the country’s low rate of infections meant
that the app’s privacy invasions were no longer justified. As a result,
the app will cease collecting new data, all data collected so far is
being deleted, and work on it is effectively paused indefinitely.

The background: Norway’s infection rate is steady and among the lowest
in Europe. However, officials at the Norwegian Institute of Public
Health (NIPH) disagreed with the decision, according to local reports.

“With this, we weaken an important part of our preparedness for
increased spread of infection, because we lose time in developing and
testing the app,” NIPH director Camilla Stoltenberg said in a statement
on Monday. “At the same time, we have a reduced ability to fight the
spread of infection that is ongoing. The pandemic is not over. We have
no immunity in the population, no vaccine, and no effective treatment.
Without the Smittestopp app, we will be less equipped to prevent new
outbreaks that may occur locally or nationally.”

The context: New contact tracing apps are seeing mixed success as the
virus itself continues to ebb and flow around the world. Norway opted
against using privacy-focused technology developed by Google and Apple,
and its app failed on marks of data minimization and transparency in MIT
Technology Review’s Covid Tracing Tracker.

However, the situation is not the same all across Europe. Italy was the
first country in on the continent to be badly hit, and Immuni, the
contact tracing app backed by the government in Rome, was released
recently to relatively positive reviews and quickly adopted by the
Italian residents who are able to download it. Immuni does use the
technology developed by Google and Apple. It received full marks on all
criteria, including minimization and transparency, in the tracker database.

The United Kingdom has had its own struggles, choosing to build its own
centralized technology instead of using the Silicon Valley system. The
government’s contact tracing app is expected to finally be launched
nationwide by June or July, according to the BBC. A slow and often rocky
development process has left many confused and critical of the final
product.

The reaction to these apps globally has led to profound skepticism about
whether they will help fight the coronavirus in most countries. There
are two sides to that question. Many wonder about the efficacy and
accuracy of this brand-new technology. Perhaps just as important is the
widespread public apprehension about digital medical surveillance, as
well as uncertainty about whether the apps will gain mainstream
acceptance and just how widespread adoption needs to be to save lives
and stop the pandemic.

--

Regards
brd