Benjamin Reis <benjamin.r...@belledonne-communications.com> writes:

> The push notifications has to go through Apple/Google since the server only
> makes a request to for push notification to the Apple/Google servers.
>
> For now push notifications only works with sip.linphone.org
> <http://sip.linphone.org/> accounts on Linphone, we are searching for
> a way to expand it to all services but for now it’s not possible.

I am puzzled by "not possible", particularly in the context of open
source.  If you mean that the code for this is not known to exist in
other SIP server implementations, or in clients other than linphone,
that's certaily understandable.  I would expect that each client and
each server codebase requires extending to support this switch-to-push
mode.

It seems there must be some extension to SIP where a client can inform
the server that it's going to switch to push mode, where the server ends
up with a token to use with APNS/GCM, and the client stops actively
registering (e.g., closes the TCP connection), but the server considers
it registered.  Then, when there is traffic for the client, a wakeup is
sent, and the client connects again, and things proceed normally.

After writing that, I searched a bit and indeed there is a protocol
specification:

  https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-sip-push/

Is linphone client and server using the soon-to-be Proposed Standard?

To sort of answer Juha's question, the IETF draft says that the push
notification cannot have a payload, and causes the client to send a new
REGISTER.  So presumably push providers can tell that a device is using
a particular SIP server by observing where the incoming push requests
come from, but it does not appear to leak contact information.

So another question is whether linphone's mechanism is sending any
content in the push messages.

Thanks,
Greg