At least when I last tried it, a month or so ago, the Linphone version in
synaptic was
a fairly old version.  The flatpak version has the new Linphone version, but it
doesn't
work very well.  Last I tried it, the Linphone download page had a warning
about
problems with the flatpak version.  Probably because flatpak is junk software,
at
least in my opinion.

I finally gave up and went to twinkle.  The twinkle version in the buster
repositories
seems to work fine.

I think linphone originally was a linux based gadget, but if so, linphone is
not paying
attention to its base.

John