On Friday, 03/29/2002 at 10:27 CST, "Dennis G. Wicks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> I guess you mean it is a privileged instruction in linux/390 because it
> isn't in VM. This leads to the strange situation where you need to be a
> privileged linux user to issue general user CP commands.

The same is true for any guest operating system.

Multi-user systems need supervisor/problem state to maintain the security
and integrity of the operating system and, hence, other users.  E.g. on
z/OS and VSE, only authorized programs can talk to CP because it requires
supervisor state.   We were kind of spoiled by CMS, which, as a
single-user system, runs everything in supervisor state with no worries.

Regards,
Alan Altmark
Sr. Software Engineer
IBM z/VM Development