Hi Craig,
Yes, its just convenience really - we already have a 3270 screen which is
normally used as a console when we're running an OS/390 test image in that
LPAR. I've read somewhere about UTS Global developing a Linux/390 3270
driver but I'm not sure if that can be exploited for what we want. You're
right we're not a VM shop so we're just using LPAR mode to evaluate the
capabilities. Ultimately we may become one (a VM shop!) if we want to run
multiple Linux images in production. So I guess its not an issue for
production.

Regards, Mark Darvodelsky,
Royal SunAlliance Australia - Data Centre.
Phone: +61-2-99789081
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

You wrote:
Mark,

if you have VM it is easy but without it, that makes it difficult. The
first Redbook "Linux for S/390" has chapter 6 dedicated to VM and its set
up, the second Redbook "Linux for zSeries and S/390: Distributions" covers
this in chapter 3.

I'm guessing but I don't think you have VM and you are trying to avoid HMC
access issues. Until you have installed Linux and set up an IPL volume, I
can't see any way around it. After you've done this it might be possible to
direct the var/log/messages file automatically to a 3270 device but I don't
know how. Basically you want to know when Linux is up and you can login,
right?

Regards, Craig

CAUTION - This message is intended for the addressee named above
It may contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient of this message you must not use, copy, distribute or
disclose it to anyone other than the addressee. If you have received
this message in error please return the message to the sender by
replying to it and then delete the message from your computer.

Internet emails are not necessarily secure. Royal & SunAlliance does not
accept responsibility for changes made to this message after it was sent