Pat,

> Had the same problem just after the April 30 code drop.
> I re-downloaded from Developerworks on May 14, and
> that problem (as well as a few others) disappeared.
> I'm up and running on 2.4.17.

Thanks for the reply, however, I downloaded again and found that
I had the latest versions of the various patches.

I did discover the problem - again it was a "make menuconfig" setting.
The mini HOWTO on the LVS Web site specifies that "IP Multicast" be
turned off.  I tried turning it on and "make image" suceeded.  For
reference, here are the settings I'm using to build 2.4.17 with
ACLs and LVS (the kernel at least Re-IPLs, but we haven't tested
the ACL and LVS function yet):

Code maturity level options  --->
Loadable module support  --->
Processor type and features  --->
General setup  --->
Block device drivers  --->
Multi-device support (RAID and LVM)  --->
Character device drivers  --->
Network device drivers  --->
Networking options  --->
File systems  --->
Kernel hacking  --->
---
Load an Alternate Configuration File
Save Configuration to an Alternate File

Networking options  --->
<*> Packet socket
[ ]   Packet socket: mmapped IO
<*> Netlink device emulation
[*] Network packet filtering (replaces ipchains)
[*]   Network packet filtering debugging (NEW)
[*] Socket Filtering
<*> Unix domain sockets
[*] TCP/IP networking
[*]   IP: multicasting       // LEAVE ON!
[*]   IP: advanced router
[*]     IP: policy routing (NEW)
[*]       IP: use netfilter MARK value as routing key (NEW)
[*]       IP: fast network address translation (NEW)
[*]     IP: equal cost multipath (NEW)
[*]     IP: use TOS value as routing key (NEW)
[*]     IP: verbose route monitoring (NEW)
[*]     IP: large routing tables (NEW)
[*]   IP: kernel level autoconfiguration
[ ]     IP: DHCP support (NEW)
[ ]     IP: BOOTP support (NEW)
[ ]     IP: RARP support (NEW)
<M>   IP: tunneling
< >   IP: GRE tunnels over IP
[ ]   IP: ARP daemon support (EXPERIMENTAL)
[ ]   IP: TCP Explicit Congestion Notification support
[ ]   IP: TCP syncookie support (disabled per default)
  IP: Netfilter Configuration  --->
  IP: Virtual Server Configuration  --->
< >   The IPv6 protocol (EXPERIMENTAL)
< >   Kernel httpd acceleration (EXPERIMENTAL)
[ ] Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) (EXPERIMENTAL)
< > 802.1Q VLAN Support (EXPERIMENTAL)
---
< > The IPX protocol
< > Appletalk protocol support

Networking options  ---> IP: Netfilter Configuration  --->
<M> Connection tracking (required for masq/NAT)
<M>   FTP protocol support (NEW)
<M>   IRC protocol support (NEW)
<M> Userspace queueing via NETLINK (EXPERIMENTAL)
<M> IP tables support (required for filtering/masq/NAT)
<M>   limit match support (NEW)
<M>   MAC address match support (NEW)
<M>   netfilter MARK match support (NEW)
<M>   Multiple port match support (NEW)
<M>   TOS match support (NEW)
<M>   LENGTH match support (NEW)
<M>   TTL match support (NEW)
<M>   tcpmss match support (NEW)
<M>   Connection state match support (NEW)
<M>   Unclean match support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)
<M>   Owner match support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)
<M>   Packet filtering (NEW)
<M>     REJECT target support (NEW)
<M>     MIRROR target support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)
<M>   Full NAT (NEW)
<M>     MASQUERADE target support (NEW)
<M>     REDIRECT target support (NEW)
<M>     Basic SNMP-ALG support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)
<M>   Packet mangling (NEW)
<M>     TOS target support (NEW)
<M>     MARK target support (NEW)
<M>   LOG target support (NEW)
<M>   TCPMSS target support (NEW)
< > ipchains (2.2-style) support
< > ipfwadm (2.0-style) support

Networking options  ---> IP: Virtual Server Configuration  --->
<M> virtual server support (EXPERIMENTAL) (NEW)
[*]   IP virtual server debugging (NEW)
(12)   IPVS connection table size (the Nth power of 2) (NEW)
--- IPVS scheduler
<M>   round-robin scheduling (NEW)
<M>   weighted round-robin scheduling (NEW)
<M>   least-connection scheduling scheduling (NEW)
<M>   weighted least-connection scheduling (NEW)
<M>   locality-based least-connection scheduling (NEW)
<M>   locality-based least-connection with replication scheduling (NEW)
<M>   destination hashing scheduling (NEW)
<M>   source hashing scheduling (NEW)
--- IPVS application helper
<M>   FTP protocol helper (NEW)

File systems  --->
[*] POSIX Access Control Lists (NEW)
[ ] Quota support
< > Kernel automounter support
< > Kernel automounter version 4 support (also supports v3)
< > Reiserfs support
< > ADFS file system support
< > Amiga FFS file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
< > Apple Macintosh file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
< > BFS file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
<*> Ext3 journalling file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)
[*]   Ext3 extended attributes
[*]     Ext3 extended attribute block sharing
[*]     Ext3 extended user attributes
[*]     Ext3 POSIX Access Control Lists
[*]   JBD (ext3) debugging support
< > DOS FAT fs support
< > EFS file system support (read only) (EXPERIMENTAL)
< > Journalling Flash File System (JFFS) support
< > Journalling Flash File System v2 (JFFS2) support
< > Compressed ROM file system support
[ ] Virtual memory file system support (former shm fs)
< > Simple RAM-based file system support
< > ISO 9660 CDROM file system support
< > Minix fs support
< > FreeVxFS file system support (VERITAS VxFS(TM) compatible)
< > NTFS file system support (read only)
< > OS/2 HPFS file system support
[*] /proc file system support
[ ] /dev file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)  //TURN OFF! (thanks Rob:)
[ ] /dev/pts file system for Unix98 PTYs
< > QNX4 file system support (read only) (EXPERIMENTAL)
< > ROM file system support
<*> Second extended fs support
[*]   Ext2 extended attributes (NEW)
[*]     Ext2 extended attribute block sharing
[*]     Ext2 extended user attributes
[*]     Ext2 POSIX Access Control Lists
< > System V/Xenix/V7/Coherent file system support
< > UDF file system support (read only)
< > UFS file system support (read only)
Network File Systems  --->
Partition Types  --->

          -Mike MacIsaac,  IBM   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   (845) 433-7061