You would be on the "Bleeding edge" here. Before you start betting the
farm, you should know the processor and storage requirements
of running oracle.  Since nobody has any experience with this on s/390,
you can take a WAG. But you really should have an idea prior
to committing to make it work what the costs are on the s/390.
I have a sizing model now for applications on s/390, input is
CPU requirements on Intel, output is approximate cpu requirements
on s/390.  Storage is still a big moving target.

Projecting requirements on s/390 is not that difficult if you
know the requirements of an application running linux on Intel.
But projecting requirements of a database's CPU requirements
with no experience, and no other input is a wild xss guess.

>From:         Dave Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>I'm working my way through the justification and acquisition of
>a z800 with my boss.  It's a slow process..but I think we'll
>probably get one in the fall!
>
>Anyways...in the meantime...someone from the infrastructure
>group wants to put up a 50-150gb Oracle database on my 9672-R35
>S/390 linux image and my RVA-X82 disk array.  (they don't
>currently have the disk space on other servers)
>
>They say this will be mostly writes during the day from VPN
>agents on servers around the enterprise....and then there will
>be some reporting going on.
>
>So...my question is....  should I entertain this proof-of-concept
>on the 9672-R35 and my RVA-X82 disk array....or will this likely
>perform very poorly and make the S/390 Linux platform look bad
>(in the eyes of my boss).
>
>What are the considerations here?  Does Oracle rely on floating
>point?  How much memory would I need to use for this Oracle
>dbase/LPAR??
>
>Tia
>Dave

"If you can't measure it, I'm Just NOT interested!"(tm)

Barton Robinson - CBW     Internet: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Velocity Software, Inc    Mailing Address:
 196-D Castro Street       P.O. Box 390640
 Mountain View, CA 94041   Mountain View, CA 94039-0640

VM Performance Hotline:   650-964-8867
Fax: 650-964-9012         Web Page:  WWW.VELOCITY-SOFTWARE.COM