Dave Rivers wrote:

> You're right... you can't run 32-bit binaries on the 64-bit
> system.
>
> It's not so much C/C++ as it is the Linux kernel... it won't
> run 32-bit programs (at least, our ThinkBlue 64-bit one won't.)

You most certainly can run 32-bit binaries on the 64-bit kernel.
However, unless the 32-bit app is statically linked, you'll need
the appropriate 32-bit shared libraries to go with the app.

AFAIK, ThinkBlue (at least some versions) does not provide the
32-bit system libraries, so you can't run 32-bit apps.

Both SuSE and RedHat 64-bit distros do provide those libraries.

As to the original poster's problem with Oracle, from the error
messages it looks like the Oracle install process wants to *link*
object files together to produce the final executable as part of
the install step.  This doesn't work because the 64-bit linker
as provided the current distributions can only link 64-bit objects.

So, you'd need to perform the install step on a 32-bit system;
once the linking has been done, the resulting executable should
run on a 64-bit system.

Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best Regards

Ulrich Weigand

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  Linux for S/390 Design & Development